Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Salsa Verde



We have been having a great few weeks here at the Palmer home. Lucca is gaining weight! We are so happy it's contagious. He is barely spitting up as well. Can you say miracle?! He is still spitting but the change is huge. (He went to the store the other day with no bib on and didn't spit up the entire time!)

I am still on my restrictive diet but have come to embrace it, except when I don't feel like cooking and we go out to eat. Most restaurants have few options that I can actually eat and we've even gone somewhere before counting on them having gluten free corn tortillas just to find out they were out. This was after the other food was ordered and being made. I got to come home and eat cereal after watching my family eat super yummy food. That is the extreme though and for the most part I am loving this diet. I feel like I have more energy. I am not hungry between meals and for that reason I am not snacking. I have lost all the baby weight plus some. This has me feeling fabulous!

For the last month I've been trying to perfect my Salsa Verde. I think tomatillos are in season somewhere because there are big boxes of them at my grocery store.



I think I've done it, for now at least. Here is my Salsa Verde recipe, with little to no quantities since I really don't like measuring:

a bunch of tomatillos - try and pick them up individually. It takes more time but if you just grab a bunch you will end up with some moldy ones or some that are almost bad.
one small onion
one clove of garlic
one jalapeno
salt

Preheat your broiler in your oven.
Line a baking tray with foil, for easy cleanup.
Peal the husk off of the tomatillo and cut in half.
Place the tomatillo skin side up on the baking tray.
Dice your onion and place on tray along with the clove of garlic.
Quarter the jalapeno and take out the seeds and veins. (Be very careful to not get the juice in your eye and to wash your hands immediately after or to wear gloves.)Place the pepper on the tray skin side up.

Place the tray in the oven and check back until the tomatillos are browning on the top. I left mind until they were pretty brown on top. (Your kitchen will smell delicious!) I don't know how long this took because I forgot to look at the clock but just keep checking. Remember, with broiling food can burn very quickly so if it looks almost done, don't walk away, stay put and check often.



Take out of the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Now you can blend the ingredients together. (I only used 1/4 of the jalapeno since I am nursing a baby, I have a 4 year old that was going to eat this salsa and my husband is not Mexican.) I used my immersion blender and it worked wonderfully but you could use a regular blender or a food processor to get the job done. Blend until the consistency that you desire.

Now taste and then add salt if you need it. Remember that it is going on food that you might have already salted so don't add too much.

Last night I made my salsa to use on my enchiladas but the last time I made this salsa I used it on pork chops. The nice thing is that you get leftovers to use as dip for chips. YUMMY!



I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

Namaste!



No comments:

Post a Comment